And the winner is….. WICCA
Roger Partridge, Events Coordinator for the Borough Council of King’s Lynn & West Norfolk, explains: “The local music scene in West Norfolk is thriving and there are many fantastic groups in our area. This competition will give bands a platform to highlight their music to an enthusiastic audience on the Green in Hunstanton, with the ultimate prize of performing in front of thousands of people at next year’s Festival Too.
The Green, Hunstanton – Saturday 16th September
Meet our contestants
1. Das Kapitans were formed in lockdown 2021. Since then they have released 13 albums and 2 EPs, created socks on records, and organised countless gigs promoting unsigned DIY music. They have a highly energetic stage presence and highly catchy songs.
Das Kapitans – Idol
Steve from Das Kapitans spoke to Si…
2. Gliders are a group of 12-year-old boys who have just finished year 7 at Springwood High School. They formed the band earlier this year when they met at school.
The Gliders – Seven Nation Army
Listen to our interview with Stuart, Dad to one of the band members.
3. JazzSigns is a six-piece band playing a fusion of jazz and soulful blues, infused with a hint of Latin and a rich jazz groove. Their sound has been described as vibrant, colourful and energetic music that makes you feel good! The band members first got together early in 2020 but didn’t start performing until the summer of 2022, when the band has played at jazz clubs, summer events, and private functions.
No audio available
Listen to our interview with Ted from Jazz Signs
4. Wicca is a Goth Rock Quintet from the coasts of Norfolk, England. Inspired by the flamboyance and ego of rock icons from the 70s and 80s. They formed in Kings Lynn in 2021 originally as a solo project, in the coming years they grew to boast a lineup of five accomplished young musicians
Wicca – The Well
Listen to our interview with Jack from Wicca
5. Dead Horse is a Classic, Hard Rock and Metal covers band. Covering songs by bands such as AC/DC, Metallica, Sex Pistols, Motörhead, Limp Bizkit, Beastie Boys, and Guns n Roses. This year is the 10-year anniversary of the band. Originally started by guitarist Stu ‘Spy’ Kirby and frontman Big Al Williams. After many failed attempts at being in a band, Stu decided it was like flogging a ”Dead Horse” trying to get things off the ground, and so the name was born. Soon after the first few gigs, Stu unfortunately suffered a Stroke which meant he could no longer play guitar. The band carried on in his honour and Stu is still loosely involved today.
Dead Horse – Melody
Dead Horse interview..
6. Kissed by Vultures are a three-piece Indie Rock band, playing predominantly self-penned material. Formed post-Covid lockdown, they went through a number of line-up revisions until early this year, settling on the line-up you see today. Steve (drums) & Scott (singer & guitarist) are original members and were joined by Rob (bass & backing vocals) last year. Steve & Rob are survivors of the early 1980’s Norfolk Punk Rock/New Wave scene. Both played in local bands at that time.
Kissed by Vultures – Hurricane
Listen to our interview with Scot from Kissed by Vultures