The owner of King’s Lynn Town FC has said that they are going to have to draw down the shutters at the end of this month due to the difficult financial position they are in. Stephen Cleeve said they would need to take on a loan of half a million pounds to get through the rest of the season because they have no income from ticket sales. It comes as the Linnets were due to play Dover Athletic on Saturday but the match was postponed after they had furloughed all players and staff to protect the long term future of the club.
The Linnets have now launched a ‘Linnets Donation pledge’ scheme which they hope will give assistance to their current financial plight.
Speaking at the launch chairman Stephen Cleeve said ‘Through no fault of it’s own the club has found itself in a position that it can no longer afford to participate in the National League without the assistance of monies in a grant form. If the club took a loan in the current circumstances it would saddle it with a debt which would be around it’s neck for many years to come. Add to that the Prime Ministers announcement that supporters will not be allowed into sports grounds until at least May 17th , meaning we could have possibly one game this season with a crowd on May 29th , which even then would be limited.
The Linnets donation pledge is a way for not only supporters of King’s Lynn Town , but supporters of football around the county, the country and even the world to rally and support the club in these very difficult times.
Priced at £300 each, the pledges are available to purchase by clicking the link HERE which is on our website www.kltown.co.uk. As a way of saying thank you for your donation I will allow entry to the next ten games played at The Walks. This may be the Aldershot fixture at the end of the present season or the pre-season games and early league fixtures of season 2021/22. It would be fair to say that unless a substantial amount of these pledges are taken up there is no guarantee that we will be able to continue this current season. I have also estimated that it will cost around £100,000 if we do not continue the season.
I thank you in advance of your donations to our tremendous club.’