The shed concept began in Australia in the mid-’90s. There was a realisation that older men encountered a number of health and well-being issues, that could, in part, be attributable to social isolation. In more down-to-earth terms, when we retire we can lose a significant network of friends and colleagues. Sometimes it is difficult to fill the gap that loss of connection can leave.
Whenever men get involved in activities there is a lot of sharing of experiences. That mentoring mindset is often nurtured by the way working men (in any work) share information to help them be more effective in the workplace. This becomes the basis of social interaction which isn’t lost just because one enters retirement.
So the idea of a place where men – particularly retired men – can come together that recreates the positive aspects of a working environment was established. Since then the movement has spread across the globe and here in the UK, there are over 528 sheds providing enjoyment for almost 13000 members.
What sort of people are we looking for?
We would hope to encourage a friendly social atmosphere where anyone would feel welcome to come along and join in. There are exceptions, we are not set up to deal with vulnerable people and we aren’t intending to be a care provider so individuals need to be self-managing. Neither are we presenting ourselves as teachers or experts – although the sharing of ideas and skills will undoubtedly be a valuable part of working together in our ‘shed’.
So, if you think you might enjoy being part of the King’s Lynn Men’s Shed get in contact with us or just turn up and have a chat.
What is a Men’s Shed?
- A larger version of the typical Men’s Shed in the garden!
- A group of men working on projects of their own choosing at their own pace and in a safe, friendly and inclusive venue.
- Somewhere to feel at home, have a laugh, socialise, pursue practicalinterests and stay active!
- A place to capture and pass on skills and craftsmanship between each other.
- The Shed can also be a place to come and sit for a while, and chat over a cup of tea.
What is a Men’s Shed is not…
- A formal training programme but you may gain new knowledge and skills.
- A health programme but your health and wellbeing may improve.
- A service for men but activities organised by men.
- An information service but you can ask for the information you need.
- A sports club but you could play sports.
How to join
The King’s Lynn Men’s Shed is established as a Community Organisation, which is a not-for-profit organisation and is registered as a Charity. Number 1182664
Membership is open to all (Over 18). The annual fee for membership of the King’s Lynn Men’s Shed is £10. Fees for attendance of the King’s Lynn Men’s Shed workshop is £3 per session, although we operate on the basis of “Pay what you can”
All are welcome to visit the Men’s Shed in King’s Lynn any Tuesday or Thursday, We have 2-3 visitors every week – Come and see what we are working on and whether you would like to join us.
There is an annual fee of £10.00
plus a daily fee of £3.00 for hot drinks and electric